Learning. We believe that people possess an almost limitless capacity to learn and grow. Our success — and the success of our clients — depends on making the most of this capacity.
Optimism. We focus on how things can be done, not why they can't be done.
Teaming. We practice creative teaming, both internally and with our clients, because it sparks the best thinking and most effective implementation.
Trust. We communicate honestly and keep our promises.
Akoya is a small, woman-owned company with offices in Pittsburgh, PA, and Falls Church, VA. We specialize in strategic communications, stakeholder engagement, and content marketing for federal, not-for-profit, and business organizations. We value our client relationships and believe our success stems from our team of smart, kind, and capable people—the type of people we think you’d want as coworkers.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits and understand the importance of work-life balance.
Find our current openings on Indeed or get them sent to your inbox as soon as they’re available. And even if we aren’t hiring, feel free to email your resume and work samples—we can’t always respond individually but will reach out if we think there might be a good match.
Please submit resumes to: email@example.com. No phone calls accepted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Akoya is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist to join a high-performing team that supports the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) in Washington, DC.
Akoya provides communications services to EERE’s corporate communications office and technology programs’ externally facing and public information dissemination activities. Akoya works collaboratively with EERE Communications, Communications Sector Leads, and members of corporate leadership, Legislative Affairs, and the DOE Office of Public Affairs, as well as a variety of technology offices and programs to administer communications processes.
The Communications Specialist will deliver client-facing consulting services to support the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Operations (DAS-O).
A successful candidate will:
- Support the DAS-O and senior team members in developing strategies for effective communication about EERE technology offices to all relevant stakeholders.
- Develop communications products such as speeches, presentations, talking points, social media, website content, newsletter articles, fact sheets, templates, reports, briefings, and other internal and public-facing materials.
- Maintain consistency of messaging, standards, and branding; liaise with all appropriate entities (e.g., Public Affairs, EERE leadership, Legislative Affairs, technology offices) to ensure concurrence on messaging, products, and activities.
- Liaise with DAS-O and EERE technology offices on issues related to communication activities, plans, materials, tools, events, and other products.
- Effectively manage product governance while also expediting approval processes to meet essential deadlines.
- Implementing quality control of products through copyediting, branding compliance and remediation, proofreading, collaboration with webmasters, and press supervision.
- Support implementation of information management projects such as public and stakeholder inquiry response, database development, project and results tracking, and other related types of communications and outreach.
- Develop milestones and metrics for communications projects and campaigns; conduct follow-up activities to evaluate their success.
The Communications Specialist will also support EERE Communications in the vital functions of coordinating communications across all offices through a Policy Calendar.
- Administer the EERE Policy Calendar process and deliver an updated Excel workbook on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate with and provide periodic training to EERE technology offices; meet weekly with EERE Communications Sector Leads to ensure the Policy Calendar provides an accurate and comprehensive listing of upcoming activities that involve participation by EERE personnel, including releases of public announcements, scheduled events, publication dates for reports, and other milestones.
- Maintain records related to the Policy Calendar, generate requested reports, liaise as requested with the DOE Office of Public Affairs, and coordinate with EERE IT staff to upload the Policy Calendar to the SharePoint site.
- Assist with updating guidance and policy documentation periodically, drafting weekly reminders and instruction updates to the EERE technology offices, and periodically confirming and updating/maintaining the points of contact list for EERE Communications and technology offices.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in communications or related discipline
- Minimum of 7 years with bachelors and 5 with Masters of related professional work experience
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance
- Ability to build and manage client relationships at all levels
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic, results-driven environment
- Ability to think strategically to effectively assess clients’ situations and assemble solutions to meet needs
Desired Skills and Experience:
- U.S. Department of Energy experience
- Communications experience in the energy market
- Familiarity with AP Style
Akoya, a small, woman-owned communications firm, is currently seeking a Graphic Designer to support multiple federal clients and internal projects in our Pittsburgh, PA office.
- Conceptualize, design, and develop a wide variety of materials (technical, promotional, informational, instructional), such as reports, brochures, posters, meeting/conference handouts and signage, social media graphics, PowerPoint presentations with animation, logos and branding.
- Handle heavy production load with multiple deadlines while adhering to the graphic standards for each client.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining keen attention to detail in a fast-paced work environment.
- Develop a system for scheduling and tracking requests from numerous project managers for graphics/artwork to ensure timely and efficient completion of all work products
- Use advanced desktop publishing, page layout, or typesetting software to design and develop high quality textual and graphic compositions to communicate complex technical data
- Generate, manipulate, and integrate graphic images, animations, sound, text, and video generated with automated tools into consolidated and seamless multimedia programs
- Conduct studies, testing, and evaluation of screen prototypes for functionality, ease of use, efficiency, and accuracy
- Minimum of 15 years of experience and a Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or related field.
- Demonstrated excellence in design for print and multimedia.
- High-level of demonstrated proficiency in current releases of key software programs, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat Pro.
- Proficient at Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Demonstrated capability in proofreading and copy editing text and page layouts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of copy editing, including familiarity with editorial reference works and style manuals and proficiency in their use; demonstrated skill in developing editorial procedures and style sheets for specific projects.
- Demonstrated capability in handling client interactions in matters of style and revisions.
- Ability to coordinate projects through production